ACE - Adult Community Education
Students are encouraged to "Get Involved" to make their time at ACE a more enhancing and fulfilling experience.
Activities and experiences have included:-
- Visiting Speakers - Fire officers talking about safety. Historians from Leigh
- An Anti-Bullying Workshop - students were taught how to identify bullying
and what to do about it.
- Historical Reminissence Groups at the Museum of Wigan Life including
talks on 'Potions and Poultice', 'Community Dairies' and 'How the Victorians
- Displayed Art in the Turnpike Gallery Leigh. An open exhibition in which
students displayed art work representing childhood memories.
- Art Workshops in Wigan Park - collage making.
- The Wigan Park Challenge - a treasure hunt around the park.
- Annual Presentation Evening - time for celebrating achievement and
attainment over the previous year. The evening is usually held at St. Peter's
Pavillion in Hindley and includes a buffet, disco, liscensed bar and raffle prizes.
- Christmas Lunch/Disco - usually held during the afternoon at the Hotel
situated across from Tesco in Wigan.
- Wigan Parish Church Tour - a guided tour led by church warden Mr
Leyland taking in the history of the church, WW2 and the tombs.
- Wigan Food & Drink Festival - food tasting, watching demonstrations on a
variety of styles and cultures of cookery and actually taking part and helping the
chefs prepare and cook various dishes in front of an audience.
- Wigan Jazz Festival - an opportunity to listen to different types of music and
- Design Project - Students were given an opportunity to have a say in the
development of the coffee room at ACE, Wigan. Students are encouraged to
acquire ownership and responsibility for the room, ensuring it is kept clean and
tidy, and encouraging use of the notice board area to share news/events with
others at ACE.
- Display and Decoration - Students are encouraged to put forward ideas for
displays and decoration at ACE. One student suggestion involved the
development of a movie wall in which students chose their favourite film and
then their picture was then superimposed onto the DVD cover.
- ACE Newsletter - Students are encouraged to put forward ideas and
suggestions and are encouraged to write articles to be included in the
- Volunteer Receptionists - to encourage the development of work related
skills a number of students work voluntarily on ACE reception at Wigan. Their
duties include meeting and greeting visitors, passing on messages, and opening
the door etc.
- Drama Group - A small group of students were involved in a 6 week project
which culminated in a performance at a local high school.
- Multi-cultural Activities - which have incorporated Jamaican tea tasting,
Chinese New Year, Food tasting, Cookery and Arts and Crafts.
- Mayoral Tour - guided tour around Wigan Town Hall and an opportunity to
meet the Mayor of Wigan and dress in Mayoral robes.
- Educational visits which are student organised. Students are involved in all
aspects of planning and preparation. Activities and quizzes are developed by the
Places visited in the past include:
Golden Days Garden Centre.
Blend & Shake, Ashton.
Wigan Jazz Festival.
Coronation Street Tour.
Telephone: 01942 829321
Address: 2nd Floor, Queen's Hall, Market Street, Wigan.
Telephone: 01942 262890
Address: 3rd Floor, Magnum House, 33, Lord Street, Leigh. WN7 1BY